Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fixing Overscan on a Sanyo Vizon LCD TV

After noticing excessive overscan while watching Netflix on my PS3, I decided to look for my Sanyo Vizon's hidden service menu. Before you get started, you must understand that this could potentially damage your TV. I'm simply providing information about a product, so if you break something, that is your own fault ^.^'

Here's how to reduce the overscan to (almost) zero.

1) Set your TV to an analog channel with some input (like cable).
2) Turn the volume down so that it's audible, but won't destroy your ears if it happens to turn to static noise.
3) Unplug your TV.
4) Hold the Channel Down button on your TV.
5) Plug it in while holding Channel Down.
6) A black menu should appear over the standard signal (whatever was on TV)
7) You can use your remote to cycle through the parameters*. Don't mess around! You could brick your tv if you fuck up the horizontal sync or any other critical values!
8) Go to parameter # 25 (letterBoxOvSc), and set the value to 1**.
9) Go to the following parameters, and set the value as 1:
- #54 (sidebarOvSc)
- #55 (leftOvSc)
- #56 (rightOvSc)
- #57 (topOvSc)
- #58 (bottomOvSc)

Now, go try whatever was messed up before to see if the picture is fixed! :)

*parameter numbers and names might differ depending on model numbers. Just use common sense and try to find the right one. If you can't find the right one, don't just guess! Not unless you can afford a new tv, that is.
**I set 1 instead of 0 because you may experience some garbage on the edge of the screen otherwise. Move the number up a bit if you still get garbage.


After notes:

There are many other parameters that, in my opinion, SHOULD be in the standard menu but aren't.
You can flip through and find them yourself as they're pretty clearly labeled.
These include bass, treble, and balance adjustments.
You can also choose from 7 different fonts and change the font sizes.

It's also important to note that the separate video modes don't have their own settings. Instead, they are calculated as variation of the standard settings. So if you look for (HDMILeftOvScDiff) or something similar, you'll notice it has a high number (1000 to -1000 I think). So if you get garbage in analog mode but not in HDMI mode, you can try adjusting the HDMI to a negative number to compensate.


25 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you a million times. My Wii U system had the edges cut off, forcing me to go seven sizes smaller to make the Miiverse and shop channels to fit, with no fix available for the actual games.

    It took me under 2 minutes to fix everything thanks to your guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got your Wii U looking good. Over scan is a killer :-P

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much!! I've been living with this overscan on my tv for YEARS!!! I had to create custom resolutions to fix the overscan, that caused issues but I lived with it. Thank you again so much for putting this info out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to get this to work but my Sanyo doesn't have any OvSc parameters D= with my PC I wasn't so worried since I can use Nvidia Control Panel to correct for the OverScan but when I got a PS3 and hooked it up the edges disappeared... Not sure if there are other parameters that count towards it but I erred on the side of caution and walked away without changing anything =<

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this apply to CRT's too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Years later and this helped me on our DP-50747 Sanyo playing FFXV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous. The DP52848 lacks this setting and I had the same issue with FFXV.

      Delete
  7. This is years after the fact, but this is still one of the first and only things that comes up when I google an Overscan fix for Sanyo HDTV, googling my exact model (FW50D36F 50" LCD w/ LED backlight) found me nothing, trying to use this method of accessing the service menu (tried with both channel down and volume down buttons many many times) got me no where, finally I just started exploring my remote, found a button in the upper right that says PIX SHAPE Changed it from normal to full. Problem solved instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have the parameter name u "" suggested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For HDMI mine I believe says scale_to_diff_hdmihd and so on if I'm on the right one

      Delete
    2. I don't have the Vizon model (after 10 years it gave up the ghost).

      Maybe you could change the value and see what it affects.

      Delete
  9. I have been trying to get into a Sanyo DP19649 service menu for ages. The official documentation says to use the Volume down key on the side, and I have tried both volume down and channel down buttons to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try holding the button as you plug in the device

      Delete
  10. This saved me a ton of headaches. I switched to a universal remote immediately after purchasing the set and never noticed the PIX SHAPE button on the original. My uni would bring up all menus on the tv except for that one. Had been living with the overscan and hating life for 2 years...what a dummy I am! Thanks to this thread 4 sure

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a blessing sir. Overscan has been driving me up the wall for years

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazon Quiz Answer Today to Win Sanyo TV 43" 4K. There will be a total of 7 lucky winners. 100% Verified & Solved Answers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My tv doesn’t boot while I hold either channel button but it will with any other buttons being held. I have a Sanyo dp55441 if anyone can help

    ReplyDelete
  14. dp3749 nothing matches. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete